Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas

It's Christmas Eve. Around this time I try to reflect on past Christmas memories, warm thoughts, and also what might be ahead for my life. A lot of them blend together in my mind, but certain highlights appear. One year I wanted the Cowboy set of Lego's, and I got a ton. I spent the whole night building towns and having robberies. The worst year was when I was sick with a fever laying on the couch watching my family open their presents. Of course, presents were handed to me, and I opened them, but I was so sick it didn't much matter. I wanted to feel better. That would have been the best gift at the time. I remember wanting a rare video game, and begging my parents to find it, and they did. I think they were pretty pissed about it, but I ignored their disdain as all I cared about was that I actually got the game. The worst rule during Christmas was nap time. Naturally, my parents didn't want me and my siblings getting cranky while we opened presents, so they would make us take naps or lay in bed in the middle of the day. It was childhood purgatory. As a kid you try not to be selfish or greedy during Christmas, but most of the time the temptation to want things takes over. I think kids get a pass on that vice during Christmas. Sometimes.

As an adult Christmas priorities evolved from present focused to family focused. I don't much care for what I get, but what I can give. I would rather spend time with family, watch a movie, or play a board game. Cherishing those moments are what matters most to me.

Yet, the love I have for my family, my friends, my children, my life would not be what it is if it weren't for a little baby who was born in the dirty, poor little town of Bethlehem. I would have no love in my life without that faith that has been my ultimate gift. A gift I can't return, a gift I don't deserve, a gift that is love itself.

Joy to the World and a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment